Identity theft occurs when someone acquires your personal information in order to impersonate you. This information might include your name, birthdate, Social Security Number and mother's maiden name.
Fraud occurs when criminals access your bank accounts or open new accounts, obtain loans in your name, and make purchases using your identity.
Detect identity theft
- Use your monthly bank statements to monitor account activity
- Check debit, credit card, and ATM receipts against bank statements to make sure the transactions match
- Ensure that you recognize all charges (If you see suspicious transactions, contact Flagstar immediately)
- Monitor your credit report regularly
- Log into online banking to review and confirm recent transactions